Early detection and immediate treatment offer the best chance of surviving breast cancer: When breast cancer is confined to the breast, the five-year survival rate is over 95%. Now is the time to be proactive and take charge of your breast health!
Start with this three-step early detection plan as recommended by the American Cancer Society:
- Do a monthly breast self-exam beginning at age 20.
- Visit a trained medical professional at least every three years beginning at age 20 and annually after 40 for clinical breast exams.
- Beginning at age 40, get an annual screening mammography. Women under the age of 40 with either a family history of breast cancer or at high risk should consult with a medical professional regarding when to begin getting mammograms.
BREAST CANCER FACTS AND STATISTICS
Chance that a woman will develop breast cancer in her lifetime
Breast cancer cases that do not invovle inherited genes
Reduced risk of breast cancer fatality by undergoing mammography
Early stage breast cancers treated by partial mastectomy or lumpectomy
Early stage breast cancers treated by mastectomy
Advanced stage breast cancers treated by partial mastectomy or lumpectomy
Advanced state breast cancers treated by mastectomy
ARE YOU A BREAST CANCER SURVIVOR?
After your breast cancer treatment has been successfully completed, it’s important to continue to plan your follow-up care with your health care team to protect your breast health.
These are the goals of follow-up visits noted by the Susan G. Komen Foundation:
- Find any breast cancer that has returned to the breast, chest or nearby lymph nodes (recurrence).
- Find any breast cancer that has returned and spread to other parts of the body (metastasis).
- Talk about ways you may lower your risk of recurrence or metastasis.
- Talk about any problems you have taking medications (such as hormone therapy).
- Discuss any side effects of treatment (such as menopausal symptoms).
- Provide emotional support.
- Give you a time to ask questions and share concerns.
We hope your share your story with others! Every woman’s journey is unique, and at ContourMed, we are pleased to be able to provide ways to help women get back to the lives they want to live.