Having a mastectomy or lumpectomy doesn’t have to prevent you from having a fun-filled summer. There are many options in summer clothes while allowing you to move freely and fully enjoy your favorite summer activities.
As summer continues, it’s time for some fun and relaxation. If you are still discovering how to wear breast forms, don’t let it slow your shopping down. This two-part blog series will help you as a guide with these four shopping tips for post-mastectomy fashions for the summer season.
1. Wear natural fabrics and stretch fabrics.
Once you have undergone a mastectomy, you should treat yourself to quality fabrics that feel incredible against your skin. Wearing the same blouse cuts and fabrics that you did in the past may no longer look the same way or be as comfortable, but there are answers to this.
- Look for fabrics that naturally give, such as jersey, cotton, or modal for soft feel on sensitive skin in the surgical area.
- Try lyocell fabrics for exceptionally smooth and adequate coverage, for a light material that lays well.
- Tunics and wraps are always in style. Both types of blouses cover well and permit room for movement. And they come in an endless array of variations on sleeves and bodice designs.
2. Embrace new swimsuit styles.
Following a mastectomy, finding the perfect swimsuit can seem daunting. However, there are great swimsuits for mastectomy. And if you’re wondering how to wear breast forms while doing water activities, no problem—ContourMed’s prostheses are waterproof and ready for the beach!
- The most functional mastectomy swimsuits usually have higher necklines.
- Do an internet search to see a list of mastectomy swim wear providers, and read the reviews.
- Some producers of mastectomy bras and accessories also manufacture swimsuits with features made specifically for women who have undergone a mastectomy. Do a little bit of research on your favorite brands!
Start by searching for swimsuit designs specifically for mastectomy to shorten your search, and you can always widen your shopping scope from there.
3. Use a few little tricks.
Recognize that you might need to find a few little tricks you can do to make some clothes work for your new needs. Many women have proven that a little ingenuity can take you far in finding ways to look and feel great in your post-mastectomy summer clothing.
- Try a variety of cuts, shapes, and prints in summer outfits.
- Experiment with various sleeve styles and lengths.
- Mix styles to see what unique looks you can create.
- Safety pins can work a variety of wonders, so keep a variety of sizes and colors on hand.
For additional information about your breast form options and how to choose the best breast prosthesis, contact ContourMed at 877-380-8528 and speak to an expert on these exceptional post-mastectomy prostheses.