Taking the right steps to care for your custom breast prosthesis will ensure it lasts longer and retains its original shape.
Many women from all walks of life have discovered that wearing a custom breast prosthesis may be the most natural and comfortable way to restore their pre-mastectomy appearance, symmetry, and positive self-image. There are custom breast prosthesis that fit perfectly whether you have had a mastectomy or lumpectomy. For women who have had a double mastectomy, two customized breast forms can also be worn easily and comfortably. They are also incredibly strong, resilient and lifelike in appearance. A custom breast prosthesis may last two to three years or more if you know how to care for a custom breast form.
Custom Breast Form Care Essentials
Following these tips on how to care for your custom breast form will ensure it remains looking as new as possible for years and continues functioning properly:
- Keep sharp objects away from your custom breast prosthesis such as pet claws, safety pins, or broaches.
- Avoid the use of perfume or lotions around your breast form. Ingredients in these substances could damage the outer layer of your custom breast prosthesis.
- Hand-wash your breast prosthesis regularly with mild, skin-friendly soap. Rinse the form gently and towel dry it by blotting instead of rubbing the surface. Be aware that leaving skin oils on a custom breast prosthesis can deteriorate the outer layers and reduce its lifespan.
- When you are not wearing your custom breast prosthesis, store it in the box it came in. This protects it from accidental damage while helping it retain its natural shape.
- Never use bleach, dyes, or cleaning solvents on your custom breast prosthesis.
- Always rinse your breast form in clean, cool water after you swim in a pool or natural body of water to remove chlorine, salt, and sediments.
A custom breast prosthesis is designed to appear as natural and feminine as possible while ensuring optimal comfort. If you have any apprehension about activities after your surgery, a custom breast prosthesis is the natural choice for reclaiming and maintaining your active lifestyle. When you purchase a custom breast prosthesis from ContourMed, you consult with a professional fitter to get the custom shape, size, weight, and color options you want. Our state-of-the-art scanning technology provides precise measurements for a custom breast prosthesis that fits snuggly to your chest wall. All you have to do establish a simple cleaning routine and take some small precautions to make sure your custom breast prosthesis lasts.
If you have any questions about how to care for a custom breast form, contact ContourMed today at 877-380-8528. Our product lines offer a variety of options for custom breast forms that fit your needs and preferences. After providing custom breast prosthetics to women for over a decade, we have developed a reputation as a leading provider of custom breast forms.